Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Food from scratch

Do you like to cook? I do, but as I live on my own sometimes it's just too much effort to cook every day. I often cook bigger meals and take the leftovers to work or just eat the same two times in a row. But there are some times when I don't want to eat the same stuff twice. There are also times when I don't want to go grocery shopping so I started cooking stuff with very simple ingredients that I always have at home or with leftovers.
Just last week I wanted to have a burger and chips. I make the chips myself, it's so easy, just cut a few potatoes into sticks (leave the skin on it or cut it off, whatever you like), put them in a bowl with some oil and spices and bake them in the oven for about 30minutes. Easy as that and they are so much better than bought chips. The problem about this meal were the burger buns. As they were only offered in bigger packs I still had some of them after and wasn't sure what to do with them. I went through my fridge and also found a handful of pasta, two cooked potatoes, a few pieces of vegetables, a piece of feta cheese and some butter with herbs and garlic. And that's what I made:

grilled feta cheese with spices, onion and pepper 

potato salad with mayo, herbs, sea salt and mixed, freshly grounded pepper

pasta salad with vegetables and sunflower seeds

toasted burger buns with herb/garlic butter

It was all really delicious. But there were still burger buns left! I thought I might run out of ideas but then I thought that they are not too different from usual toast and made french toast for breakfast the next morning.


I like french toast dry so I didn't soak them for too long and then fried it in a little bit of butter. You could put them in the oven instead if you don't want to use butter or oil. Eat your french toast warm for a nice breakfast or leave them until they are cold and eat them with a bit of custard, vanilla sauce or fruit as a dessert.

I might show you a little more easy recipes that I try around here, are you interested? What are your favourite recipes that can be made easily with stuff you have at home?

Jenny, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment