Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cooking From Scratch: Asparagus

Okay, this was not really "cooking from scratch" but I like to keep the name for my food posts because I like the idea that you can cook wonderful things without using any fancy ingredients. Growing up in a small village I usually thought "Where do you get those things?" when reading recipes or watching cooking shows. Now I have everything just around the corner from Asian supermarkets to Oriental places where you can get all those great spices and stuff but I still buy most of the food in the supermarket and at the small Turkish shop next door (there I get the freshest vegetables and fruit around for a reasonable price).
So, I really like cooking and trying new recipes but most of the time I'm just experimenting with the things I like and keep it pretty simple. At this time of the year asparagus is a big thing. I didn't like it at all when I was younger and still don't like all kinds of it but I really got into experimenting with it and it is just delicious if you cook it the right way. So here's what I've done:


I stir fried the chopped asparagus and broccoli in a bit of olive oil, garlic and spices so that they won't get too soft, I like them quite firm to the bite.


I made a white sauce out of some cream cheese, milk, herbs and spices and put some of it over the finished vegetables. I served with some grilled feta cheese.


The next day I had to use up my leftovers and this time there was only asparagus. I took off the skin but didn't chop it. I did the stir frying in oil and garlic again and this time served it with some sweet potato cuts garnished with some grated Emmental cheese.

Both dishes were delicious and cooked within a few minutes. You should definately give asparagus a try before it's gone until next year!

What are your favourite spring recipes?

Jenny, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment